To be frank, I’d pretty much given up on the prospect of primetime reality singing competitions ever producing another popstar after Kelly Clarkson won the first ever American Idol back in 2002; The whole production model just didn’t seem sustainable to me & every time I watched another season ‘America’ would send home my favourite artists who so clearly had the most talent of the bunch, resulting in me losing faith entirely in the brand when other shows like America’s Got Talent or X-Factor started popping up here & there – Now, in my ignorance, I’d stopped paying attention to the British side of these shows which is undeniably where all the best talent comes from in these shows, a la One Direction & Little Mix, so when singer-songwriter Calum Scott made his mainstream debut on Britain’s Got Talent back in 2015 I had absolutely no idea who he was for the longest time, easily confusing him with Liam Payne & purposely staying as far away from his music as I possibly could. To my joyous surprise, though, I stumbled upon his 2018 album Only Human whilst doing some research for work, finding myself pleasantly taken-aback by how absolutely brilliant his compositions were, flipping my expectations on their head & giving me a newfound respect for a musician I’d so easily written off mere months before.
21 albums, 36 tracks
Calum Scott; another UK artist literally killing it in the R&B/Soul/Pop scene. Just discovered this miraculous human being, and have been jamming to my favorite joints on his accomplished album Only Human, a vocally-centric Pop record which strikes you immediately from the first track “If Our Love Is Wrong”, a swirling, liquid symphonic beat that carries much sophistication and a heavy emotional weight, hitting very subbed down frequencies as Calum Scott delivers lyrical, whimsical vocalizations that are instantly arresting. It’s small wonder that this budding star has some skin in the game, already having honed his skills by both competing on 2015 Britain’s Got Talent, and also fronting a Maroon 5 tribute band, cheekily calling it Maroon 4. The man is destined for fame, as I find his vocals comparable with Sam Smith’s, if slightly less soulful and acrobatic. To the point, Sam Smith is the heir apparent of British Pop Soul, but we are talking apples and oranges, as what we gain with Calum Scott is tons of vocal diversity, even if on certain songs, he gets a little too throaty whilst chasing some dead end style on “Not Dark Yet”, though even in this, his soulful belting leads to triumph. It is extremely refreshing that in this day and age, with Pop music blending so much with auto-tuned sing-rap styles, or overlayed artificial synthetic support, that a real and dynamic voice can reach my ears without any filtering or barriers.
Official Music Videos
Featuring Version Videos
Remix Version Videos
Static Image Video
- Dec 31, 2018Calum Scott: Writing music helped me embrace my sexuality
- Dec 03, 2018Calum Scott Talks Response to Coming-Out Song, Working With Don Diablo
- Jun 22, 2018British singer Calum Scott says coming out helped with his songwriting
- Jun 08, 2018The best celebrity duets according to Leona Lewis and Calum Scott
- Apr 11, 2018How Calum Scott Turned His Painful Coming Out Into A Compelling Debut Album
- Mar 16, 2018Calum Scott Celebrates Album Release With Special Concert
- Mar 14, 2018Calum Scott Responds To 'Dancing On My Own' Cover Criticism
Calum Scott (born 12 October 1988) is an English singer and songwriter. In 2013, he won a talent competition put on by his local newspaper. In 2015, he became known worldwide after competing on the popular television show Britain's Got Talent. He subsequently released his version of Robyn's hit "Dancing On My Own" as a single, which reached number two on the UK Singles Chart and became the best-selling song that summer in the UK. In 2018, he collaborated with Leona Lewis on the single "You Are the Reason".
You May Also Like
Contributors / Perfectionists
Want To Contribute To This Page?
- Did We Miss A Song In “No Matter What (GOLDHOUSE Remix) - Single”?
- Did We Miss A Song In “No Matter What (Fred Falke Remix) - Single”?
- Show More
- Did We Miss A Song In “No Matter What - Single”?
- Did We Miss A Song In “What I Miss Most (Acoustic, 1 Mic 1 Take / Live from Abbey Road Studios) - Single”?
- Did We Miss A Song In “You Are the Reason (Instrumental) - Single”?
- Show More
- Show More
- Did We Miss A Song In “You Are the Reason (Acoustic, 1 Mic 1 Take / Live From Abbey Road Studios) - Single”?
- Show More
- Did We Miss A Song In “You Are the Reason (Tiësto's AFTR:HRS Remix) - Single”?
- Did We Miss A Song In “White Christmas (1 Mic 1 Take/Live From Abbey Road Studios) - Single”?
- Did We Miss A Song In “Dancing On My Own (Toby Green Remix) - Single”?
- Did We Miss A Song In “Rhythm Inside (Toby Green Remix) - Single”?
- Did We Miss A Song In “Rhythm Inside (Halogen Remix) - Single”?
- Did We Miss A Song In “Rhythm Inside (Acoustic) - Single”?
- Did We Miss A Song In “Dancing On My Own (Ben Dooks Remix) - Single”?
- Did We Miss A Song In “Dancing on My Own (Tiësto Remix) - Single”?
- Did We Miss A Song In “Dancing on My Own (Instrumental) - Single”?
- Did We Miss A Song In “Dancing on My Own (Acoustic) - Single”?
- Did We Miss A Song In “Dancing on My Own - Single”?